The design of living spaces is of particular importance. Property owners strive to get away from the stereotypes developed over the years and use every opportunity to create an exclusive interior.
The stylish decorative screen on the radiator will dramatically transform its appearance and hide all visible flaws.
In this material we will tell about the varieties of decorative grids on radiators and give some tips on choosing this decorative element.
The contents of the article:
- The purpose of the screen for the battery
- The available varieties of screens
- The materials for making screens
- Option #1 - metal grilles
- Option #2 - wooden grilles
- Option #3 - plastic covers for radiators
- Option #4 - glass screens
- Option #5 - box of  HDF and MDF
- What to look for when choosing a screen?
- Conclusions and a useful video on the subject
The purpose of a battery screen
This versatile decorative element can be used for a variety of purposes. The market offers consumers a variety of models of grids made of metal, glass, wood, MDF, plastic and other materials.
The radiator screen has the following functions:
- Protection. The design of any model of screen allows a guaranteed protection of the radiators against dirt and dust.
- Decorativeness. Using this element it is possible to cover old batteries that work perfectly but have an unattractive appearance.
- Safety. Grilles and corrobes will reliably protect children from burns upon contact with the coolant.
The stylish battery heating grille is in demand for residential and office decorations. It allows to reach compromise between aesthetic and practical sides of heating arrangement.
The best way to refine cast iron batteries is to install a radiator grille, purchase of which does not require considerable financial investments
Battery screens are a reliable construction, which will bring a certain zest or help to underline the subtlety of created interior.
Whichever model you choose you will appreciate the benefits of using a radiator screen:
- It saves heating costs by ensuring uniform distribution of warm air flows throughout the living space.
- Safely protects children and other family members from accidentally touching a hot heating radiator, eliminating the possibility of getting burned.
- It is a stylish decorative accessory in the interior as an accentuating element or supporting the whole design concept.
- A large assortment of radiator screens of different sizes, shapes and designs allows to choose the best screen for any room.
- If the interior decoration needed the house owner could quickly replace the old screen with a new one.
Worth noting that installation of a stylish decorative screen absolutely does not affect the characteristics and properties of the heating devices The main condition is to choose a material that is ecological, durable and easy to care for
The available types of screens
Consumers are offered an extensive choice of decorative grilles for radiators that differ in size, shape, construction, material and other characteristics.
Choosing the best option, it is necessary to be guided by the task set for the equipment, the characteristics of the room and personal preferences of the owner.
There are 3 main types of radiator screens:
- Hanging structures. Models of this type are used to hide old cast-iron radiators that resemble an accordion. These simple decorative constructions can have 1 or more sections, with or without an upper cover. They are attached with hooks or overlaid on the heating equipment ribs.
- Flat designs. They are also called facade radiators and are used for radiators located in niches. The products are in the form of a rectangular frame, inside which there is a batten. They are mounted with an overlap on the wall niche so that the radiator does not protrude beyond its borders.
- Protective boxes. This is the best option for hiding radiators located along the wall of the room. Shields of this type are the most difficult to make and install. Protective box completely covers the old heating batteries and looks great in any interior. The disadvantage of the product is that part of the heat remains inside it and only 40-50% gets into the room.
Radiator screens can be movable and stationary. The mounting method is chosen depending on how the batteries are installed in the room. The main thing is that the construction is easy to remove.
Even a simple screen on the heating radiator improves the distribution of hot flows. To increase the convection of hot air, most models have perforations in their design
Materials for making screens
Decorative protective structures for batteries are made of different materials. This affects the characteristics and price of the equipment.
The choice of the optimal model depends on the characteristics of the interior, budget and taste of the owner of the room. The main condition is that the radiator screen must maximally cover the unattractive external heating equipment and have a perforation sufficient for quality heat emission.
The temperature operation mode of the heating system is an important parameter when selecting the material. A properly chosen radiator screen will retain its attractive appearance, color and configuration for a long time
Option #1 - metal grids
The radiator screens made of aluminum mesh or thin sheet steel are in high demand among consumers.
When designed with large openings, the grid allows heat to pass through perfectly without trapping hot air streams in an enclosed space.
While metal has high thermal conductivity, there is a reduction in heat output due to the reduced surface.
Metal products vary in size, shape, color and pattern design. Consumers can choose openwork grids or screens in the form of a solid web. Some models are equipped with a sidewall.
The service life of metal products depends on the type and quality of paint. The best option is powder enamel. It protects the metal from corrosion formation and lasts long on its surface.
Wrought metal screen, it is a multifunctional product that will decorate any interior. As the original material is visible under the openwork, it is better to cover the heating device with a thin perforated metal sheet
Metal radiator screens have features and advantages:
- Large range of models. Today you can buy products of different design - from expensive forged structures with decorative elements to standard perforated screens.
- The color of the grid must be chosen according to the heating device present in the apartment or the interior of the room.
- Metal has a high thermal conductivity, so it increases the heat emission area by 2-3 times.
- Metal surfaces are easy to clean and can be easily removed with a damp sponge.
- Metal does not deform or change its appearance when exposed to changes in temperature or humidity.
- With perforations the metal heats up and becomes an additional heat source in the room.
Metal grilles are easy to install and can be quickly and easily removed for cleaning or replacement. And if properly maintained, this material has a long service life.
Metal screens are the most affordable enclosing structures. Metal screens are often made with your own hands. It is better to use stainless steel or galvanized steel that is not corrosive
Option #2 - wooden grids
Wood is used to make unique products that are suitable for any style of room. Decorative elements made of expensive species belong to the premium class. Even inexpensive wood species are used to create original compositions.
It is important that the grille for radiators has perforations, as a product without holes will give away part of the heat to neighbors.
Decorative radiator screens made of oak, beech and other precious wood are often found in classic interiors. They are usually tinted, stained and covered with high quality enamel.
The main advantages of wood products:
- they are durable and highly wear-resistant, which ensures a long period of their use;
- attractive in appearance natural wood grids will decorate a room of any purpose;
- natural wood is universal, it blends harmoniously with various finishing materials;
- wood is plastic in the skilled hands of the master, who can create a work of art with unique carved fragments.
Wood is sensitive to high humidity, temperature variations. That is why in order to make a quality product with a long life span the manufacturers must carefully choose the raw material.
Material must be durable, according to the technology it must be properly dried and treated with a protective composition.
To cover old cast iron batteries, it is better to use wooden grids made of natural oak or beech wood. They are very strong, aesthetic and durable
Wooden grilles for radiators can be painted and unpainted, tinted and enameled. In order not to obstruct the normal heat flow, they are often mounted not on the floor of the room but raised above it for a small distance.
To improve air circulation, holes are usually made on the upper part of the box.
Wooden grilles are often placed in child care institutions as they allow maximum closure of the heating system. Inexpensive slatted screens are great for protecting and letting the warm air flows from the radiators
Option #3 - plastic radiator covers
The material used is heat resistant and can withstand temperatures of 70 °C. The optimal variant is strong PVC, which does not deform and release harmful substances when heated.
The pliable material allows manufacturers to make models with original colors and shapes.
The advantages of a plastic screen are as follows:
- the product is lightweight, which facilitates its transportation;
- the material is not afraid of moisture, the grid can be used in rooms of different purposes;
- plastic is not subject to corrosion, resistant to temperature changes;
- easy mounting and dismounting;
- easy care - plastic surfaces are easy to clean without abrasive cleaners;
- plastic screens are inexpensive.
The main disadvantage of plastic is its low thermal conductivity. When significantly heated, the material begins to emit harmful toxic substances, that is why plastic screens are not used in children's institutions. More often they are installed in offices and non-residential premises.
The cheap material is characterized by low mechanical strength, that is why screens for radiators are made of thicker plastic, which leads to significant heat loss.
Inexpensive plastic grids are offered in a wide range of colors and sizes. This allows consumers to choose a winning option for any purpose
Option #4 - glass screens
The glass radiator screens are in particular demand when decorating modern living spaces. They mainly have an aesthetic function - they have a stylish design, so they can transform and decorate any room.
Many consumers choose glass models because of their high performance, aesthetic appearance and environmentality.
The manufacturers offer different types of glass radiator screens:
- matt, sandblasted;
- adorned with UV-printed images;
- of tempered or plain glass;
- combined with another material or entirely glass.
Faceting and polishing techniques are used by manufacturers to add strength to the edges of the product. This treatment makes the product safe and attractive.
A special substance is applied to the glass that has protective properties and allows cleaning the screen using common detergents.
The glass screen for the radiator is chosen with the interior features in mind. The decorative product stylishly decorates the living room or office
An ordinary radiator can be used to make an exclusive panel. Using the technology of UV-printing a functional design element, a picture of a city panorama, flowers, animals or birds can be painted.
Product decoration possibilities: painting, toning, deep etching, photo printing, satinning.
The glass screens offer many advantages:
- High heat emission;
- Make old radiators look modern;
- A large choice of stylish decorative products;
- You can easily dismantle
- Hardened glass is 8mm thick which makes it very difficult to break.
Radiator screens made of acrylic glass are popular. It is up to 2.5 cm thick, but weighs much less than conventional glass.
Thin acrylic glass comes in a variety of colors and can be deformed when exposed to high temperatures. Molding technology allows the desired shape to be created to create an exclusive product.
Glass radiator screens do not reduce convection and allow free heat radiation as cold air enters from below and warm air rises above
Decorative grilles made of CDF and MDF boards are among the budget models. They imitate natural wood, due to which they have an inexpensive price and attractiveness. The products are not afraid of moisture and sudden temperature changes.
CDF and MDF vary in shades and shape, which allows you to choose the best model for any interior. MDF,
Radiator screens made of MDF and CDF have the following advantages:
- Easy processing. The surface of the decorative elements does not need any additional coloring.
- A great assortment. A big variety of models in different shades and colors makes it possible to choose the right variant for any room.
- Easy care. The products made of this material can be cleaned with the usual cleaners for polished surfaces.
- affordable price. Radiator screens of MDF and CDF have a relatively low, budget cost.
The decorative screens use natural components and natural lignin as a binder, so the products are safe for health.
CDF pressed in a special machine under high pressure, the result is a thin material with a dense and homogeneous structure.
What to look for when choosing a screen?
Selecting a radiator screen, it must be considered that it not only covers the radiator and successfully performs a decorative function. In addition, it significantly reduces the heat output of the heater installed in the room.
Depending on the properties of the model, the heat output can be reduced by 5, 10 or 50%. Therefore, when selecting a screen it is important to consider the heat dissipation parameters. And when fitting it is important to have easy access to the radiator valves.
This makes it possible to adjust the temperature of the heating equipment at the beginning and end of the season as well as to drain the water if air got inside during the start-up of the heating system.
The mounting of the decorative grids should allow quick, free access to the radiators and the utilities. Because it is necessary to carry out regular maintenance of the latter, to clean them from dirt. Sometimes an emergency situation may arise.
To allow the screen to be removed in one movement in case of an emergency, it must have an open end. Closed boxes must be easy to remove or open
A radiator of any kind radiates the maximum amount of heat from the surface of the upper element. Therefore, it is recommended to choose a grille with a small top slat. This will minimise the loss of heat energy.
The box cover closes the heating element on four sides, making air circulation difficult. Therefore this type of product is not considered the best option in terms of heat dissipation.
When choosing the material for the grille, special attention must be paid to environmental and safety - because decorporate screens are subjected to a constant temperature exposure.
So it is better not to use cheaper and low-quality plastic - it can emit harmful vapors.
The most environmental material is wood. From it you can make a unique decorative radiator screen with your own hands.
We also recommend to read the article, where we told about other ways to decorate heating radiators. For more information, please follow this link.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
From the following video you can learn how to decorate the radiator yourself:
Shields and decorative screens are in great demand among consumers. They are used to hide an unaesthetic heating device and improve the interior.
When choosing a grille on the heating radiator, it is necessary to consider the indicators environmental, safety and thermal conductivity. To improve air circulation, it is recommended to leave a 2-3 cm gap from the floor covering when installing it.
And what decorative grilles for radiators have you chosen? Please share your photos, are you happy with your choice? Write your comments in the block below the article..