From among the many tiles, the \"English Cobblestone\" is particularly popular. It is known for its advantages, its characteristics, its unique way of production. This is why it is actively used in the construction and improvement of landscaped areas, recreational areas, etc.
The creation of \"English Cobblestone\" differs from the other tiles by a special technology. It is made up of:
- cement mixture;
- plasticizers which give the material plasticity.
The production of English Cobblestone involves several steps:
- The material, generally M500 cement mix, is put into standard sized moulds.
- The filled moulds are placed on a vibration table. It is used to distribute the material, gradually removing the air bubbles from the mixture. This helps increase the density, the strength of the tiles.
- Furthermore, the mold is left in a warm, dry place until the mixture hardens completely in the mold.
- The finished bars are removed from the mold. They are ready for use.
The paving slabs are additionally given a specific color during production. The color palette ranges from light to dark. Popular shades are gray, sand, green, orange, etc.
Read also! How to make paving tiles with your own hands.
Characteristics and Features
The paving \"English Cobble\" resembles a neat brick or rectangular bar. If you compare the external texture with that of a brick, the face surface of the cobblestone imitates a natural stone with irregularities and roughness. In general, the paving material resembles road paving.
The configuration of one \"English Cobblestone\" has been determined by experts. It is important to calculate the length and width in order to plan the decorative layout, and the thickness in order to make the element as thin but strong as possible. Modern manufacturers strive to combine beauty and elegance with a long service life.
Paving tiles \"English Cobble\" in shape can be:
- Rectangular - 12×25 cm. The product height can vary from 4 to 6 cm;
- square - with a long side of 16 cm.
All paving tile shapes have the same physical properties, differing only from a decorative point of view. The standard English Cobblestone shape can be modified if desired. Usually it is split or reduced to the desired size with stone disks.
The same rectangular shape of the paving elements is convenient to use, store. They can be stacked so that they do not fall apart, do not take up much space.
The simple shape of the \"English Cobblestone\" allows pavers to lay almost any ornament the customer wants. It is noted that the paving tiles are easy to carry quickly by hand, to correct masonry (because of their small size and light weight).
Benefits of \"English Cobble\" paving tiles:
- Slip-free, rough surface.
- Wear-resistant, long-lasting.
- Capable of withstanding not only foot traffic but also constant automobile traffic.
- Natural appearance due to the uneven texture.
- Capable of withstanding temperature variations, freezing temperatures, the heat of summer without losing external qualities.
- Eco-friendly and safe, so it can be used in the children's area. And also do not worry about pets - it is harmless to them.
The English Cobblestone sidewalk track is famous for its natural stone look. The uncomplicated pattern adds elegance and brevity to the yard, creating the atmosphere of an old castle, where natural stone was always used to pave roads. The building material received its unusual name because its appearance resembles elements of stone roads of European countries during the Middle Ages.
Yard laid with \"English Cobblestone\" tiles.
The method of laying \"English Cobblestone\"
With the simple shape and lightness of the material, masters create unusual patterns, ornaments and unique details in the process of laying paths.
Classic types of paving brick laying:
- longitudinal or linear - the pieces are laid in the direction of the path;
- transverse - the largest side is across the path;
- tree - the short side of the piece is adjacent to the edge of the long side of the adjacent tile;
- well - four standard cobbles are arranged in a square with a \"well\" in the middle. One more half of the tiles covers the space in the square;
- diagonal - the longitudinal or cross masonry is rotated by 45 degrees, and the pieces that come out are cut with a grinder;
- Chessboard - combination of longitudinal and cross masonry tiles in pairs.
We make a marking before installing the sidewalk tiles, plan the future path. Pegs are driven into the ground, for which cords are clamped, indicating straight sections. If the path is planned with smooth turns or curves, the marking on the ground is made with a lime-based mortar.
The top layer of earth - up to 60 cm deep - is removed from the marking. This spatial box prevents the paving material from shrinking into the ground. Then sand, crushed stone or fine granite is backfilled. The resulting bottom layer is strongly compacted by hand or with a special device.
There are cases when a cement-sand or concrete base is used - it depends on the desired location of the path and the initial quality of the soil. Beforehand, it is better to consult a specialist who will advise on the basic foundation material with which the \"English Cobble\" will last as long as possible.
If necessary, trenches are made for the curbs. A separating layer of geotextile is placed underneath. The curb plates themselves are inserted into the fixing mortar.
Then make the obligatory check and level the base so that the tiles lie on the same level. When everything is prepared and checked, the cobblestones themselves are laid, forming the desired pattern.
The tiles are practically not connected, so they are additionally sprinkled with coarse sand at the seams. The excess is swept away with a broom or broom. The walkway is tamped.
Laying English Cobblestone in the video.
The production of \"English Cobblestone\" requires no expensive materials or equipment, so it is considered a cheap product, despite the quality that is not inferior to tiles from the expensive price segment. Most valued natural stone, but it is the most expensive. Not everyone will be able to afford it. And the bumpy surface of the cobblestone allows you to imitate natural textures, which immediately makes it more attractive.
The average price per square meter - from 400 rubles, depending on the manufacturer and its additional markups. A rough estimate says that about 32 tiles are needed to lay 1 square meter.
Every cottage or country house owner wants his yard to look stylish. English Cobblestone walkways combine expensive natural texture, versatility, strength and durability, and affordability. If your own skills and abilities are not enough to lay a walkway, it is worth contacting craftsmen.
Are you enjoying this building material? Bookmark this article and share it on social networks.